Our new take on "Beach Glass"
September 27, 2021
Glass Blower / Instructor
July 29, 2021
Experienced Glassblower/Instructor in Duluth, MN
We are looking for an experienced glassblower to join our team in Canal Park, Duluth MN! We are Minnesota's premier glass art gallery and have an "open studio" environment so patrons are encouraged to watch and engage the artists while we work. We have two studios located on site, one Hot Shop Studio and one Flamework Studio.
All Lake Superior Art Glass team members are expected to be mature, upbeat, organized, and be an enthusiastic ambassador to enhance our studio environment, customer experience, and quality of production. To achieve this we:
- Promote a clean, positive, courteous, and professional attitude and appearance to all team members and guests.
- Be a communications specialist. Interact with guests as they watch or enter our store. Greet and converse with guests in a friendly and outgoing manner.
- Be an art educator. Share your knowledge with our guests in an engaging way.
- Always remain respectful and courteous.
A qualified candidate must be a team player, positive communicator, and ideally possess the following qualifications:
- A fluent understanding of glassblowing skills and techniques.
- Ideally 2 years of professional glassblowing experience outside of school.
- Four year degree
- Instructing experience.
- Must be able to produce production style work every week.
- Experience with both soft glass and hard glass is a plus.
- Must have an energetic yet calm disposition and ability to put personal problems aside.
- Strong work ethic, driven and timely.
- Sharp eye for detail.
- Outgoing, positive and friendly personality.
- The ability to problem solve independently and work as part of a team.
- Ability to represent Lake Superior Art Glass professionally and safely.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. Minimum.
- Must adhere to policies per Lake Superior Art Glass Employee Handbook.
- Ability to work with a wide-range of skill levels, personalities, and backgrounds and modify technical and operational strategies to optimize learning experience
- Ability to work and speak in front of large groups of people.
- Excitement for learning and teaching.
- Anticipate and Connect- Be informed of scheduled group reservations and any special needs that may need to be addressed.
- Create a welcoming environment in the classes for Guests.
- Support other glassblowing demonstrators during demonstrations and work as a Team
- Sensitivity to visitor’s learning styles and interpretation of the art.
On an average day, a Glassblower/Instructor will perform any number of responsibilities, such as:
- Opening/closing the studio
- Prepping materials
- LSAG product production/custom orders
- Teaching classes: you will be teaching and completing production art glass pieces throughout the day.
- Adhere to all safety policies and procedures. Safely operate general glassblowing equipment
- Maintain neat, clean, and tidy personal grooming and appearance to LSAG standards
- Cultivate a safe, clean, and functional work environment. Classroom cleanup, upholding all COVID-19 mitigation standards
- 40 hours per week; must be able to work evenings and weekends
- Sign a "non-compete" agreement
- Attend monthly staff meetings
- Reports to Lead Gaffer/Studio Manager
- Wage depends on ability and experience. Minimum starting wage is $15/hour with opportunity for growth at periodic performance reviews. Once you are fully trained in teaching classes you will earn additional compensation.
- Up to 4% 401k match after 1 year
- Health and Dental Benefits after 1 month
- One week of accumulated Paid Time Off
- 5 hours/week of personal blow time (to be used primarily outside of business hours) OR free monthly flamework studio rent.
- Studio rental rate beyond 5 free hours at $25 per hour.
- Ability to sell approved work on consignment in our gallery that sees an average of 500 customers/week. (~300/week during off season. ~1500/week during peak season)
- Employee Discounts
To apply, please email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Letter of interest describing qualifications and previous experience in studio production and teaching (in word or .pdf file format)
- Resume - including three references. (in word or .pdf file format)
- 5-10 images of personal work (in .jpg or .pdf file format)
Marketing & Group Sales Manager
July 11, 2021
Lake Superior Art Glass Marketing & Group Sales Manager
Do you have an interest in art? Are you a creative and driven marketing or communications graduate? Do you have a strong background in photography and video? Would you like to work for a small, locally owned business? Lake Superior Art Glass is looking for a Marketing & Group Sales Manager.
Lake Superior Art Glass offers furnace and flame-work glass studios in addition to a glass art gallery. We have knowledgeable staff that are well trained in everything from the artists featured in the gallery to teaching in the glass studios. The gallery at Lake Superior Art Glass features glass artwork of all types made by over 60 artists from the Midwest and beyond. This includes stained, fused, flame-worked, furnace worked and more.
Our ideal candidate is someone who is creative, motivated, enthusiastic and has an interest in glass art. We are looking for an individual who can build relationships in the community and manage and grow our marketing plan and group sales. Spreading the word about our brand is your main objective. We want you to act on every opportunity to inform people about Lake Superior Art Glass!
- Collaborates with management to develop communication strategies and executes across an integrated marketing communications plan
- Help create and define marketing strategies that reach and engage the most customers possible, especially through social media
- Keep up to date with new marketing strategies and promotional outlets
- Acts as the face of LSAG, participating in news interviews and the like
- Develop and execute promotional events for our brick and mortar location
- Be budget conscious. Advertising can get costly pretty quick. You’ll be responsible for tracking costs and following a budget
- Manage all partnerships with marketing agencies and be the go-to resource for brand and marketing questions
- Conduct research and analyze competition. We need you to know the competition in order to best educate customers on our unique offerings
- Product and class photography and video - This is an area we are rapidly expanding into
- Handle the booking for Large Group Classes (as this becomes available again)
- Update and edit Shopify website as needed
- Update Instagram and Facebook profile pictures, gallery hours, and gallery information on a regular basis
- Develop and execute promotions through social media outlets
- Create social media content schedule; publish content across all key platforms with sharp attention to detail daily. Execute Instagram and Facebook Stories / live content
- Design and write newsletters
- Help engage consumers and influencers throughout social media to drive favorable brand conversations and consumer relationships via diligent community management. Respond to questions and comments with speed and judgment, escalating issues as needed; identify trends in consumer comments and funnel information to the appropriate people
- Bachelor's Degree in Marketing or related field, or equivalent education and experience
- Outgoing and infectious personality who can generate product excitement in any environment
- Proficient in photography and videography
- Proficient in the Adobe Suite
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly organized and able to prioritize under pressure
- Positive attitude, with an appetite for personal and professional development
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment and anticipate that there will be last-minute changes
- Team player mindset
- Ability to pinpoint problems and find creative solutions
- Social Media experience, Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok
Position is 25 - 40+ hours a week
Pay based upon experience and includes PTO package, and up to 4% 401k match after 1 year.
Parking and Traffic Tips For Shopping During Grandma's Marathon
June 15, 2021
(DULUTH, MINN.) --- Motorists can expect a number of road closures and heavier-than-normal traffic as thousands of runners and visitors descend on Duluth and the surrounding area for the 45th annual Grandma’s Marathon this weekend.
The most significant delays will likely be related to the ongoing Twin Ports Interchange project, which reduces Interstate-35 into and out of Duluth to just one lane in each direction between Garfield Avenue and 40th Avenue West. Organizers are asking everyone, whether you’re involved with the race or not, to expect and plan for congestion and traffic in that area as the weekend gets closer.
Road closures will begin the morning on Friday, June 18 and continue until the evening on Saturday, June 19. Motorists are also asked to be aware of the temporary “No Parking” signs on race weekend, especially on the racecourse itself, at the finish line, and in the area around the Duluth Entertainment Convention Center (DECC). Violators will be ticketed and towed.
Most roads should reopen to traffic (except for construction areas on Interstate 35, 2nd Street, and 3rd Street, as discussed below) at approximately 3:30 p.m. on Saturday, June 19.
Any questions about road closures and detours during Grandma’s Marathon can be directed to Officer Dave Decker of the Duluth Police Traffic Division at (218) 730-5736 or Minnesota Department of Transportation Public Engagement and Communications Director Pippi Mayfield at (218) 722-2834.
TRAFFIC ADVISORIES – FRIDAY, JUNE 18
- Canal Park Drive will close to most traffic at 6:00 a.m. from Railroad Street to Buchanan Street and will remain closed until after the race on Saturday, June 19. Hotel guests will be able to access their place of lodging throughout the day Friday.
- Prior to the William A. Irvin 5K on Friday, June 18, Harbor Drive around the DECC will close to traffic at 5:00 p.m.
- Railroad Street will partially close to traffic at 5:30 p.m. between Pier B and Lake Avenue.
- Motorists will be able to access the DECC parking lot using the North Gate (on Railroad Street) or the East Gate (on Harbor Drive) throughout the entire event. All outbound traffic from the DECC will be directed to the West Gate (on 5th Avenue West) from 5:00 p.m. until approximately 7:30 p.m.
- The Great Lakes Aquarium parking lot will close to traffic at 5:45 p.m. and reopen at approximately 7:30 p.m.
- Traffic on Harbor Drive and Railroad Street should return to normal by approximately 7:30 p.m.
TRAFFIC ADVISORIES – SATURDAY, JUNE 19
- Scenic Highway 61 will close at 3:45 a.m. between McQuade Road and Ryan Road. The remainder of Scenic Highway 61 will close at 4:15 a.m.
- The following roads will close to traffic at 4:15 a.m. – Homestead, Lakewood, McQuade, and Ryan roads between Scenic Highway 61 and the Highway 61 Expressway
- Avenues leading to London Road in Duluth will close to traffic at 4:30 a.m.
- The southbound lanes of Interstate-35 between 21st Avenue East and 26th Avenue East will close to traffic at 4:30 a.m.
- Harbor Drive between the DECC East Gate and the Great Lakes Aquarium will be restricted to official race shuttle buses starting at 4:30 a.m. Harbor Drive will close to all traffic at 5:30 a.m.
- The following roads will close to traffic at 5:30 a.m.
o All of London Road
o Superior Street between 12th Avenue East and 3rd Avenue East
o Michigan Street east of 5th Avenue West
o Commerce Street / Railroad Street, Lake Place Drive, and Canal Park Drive
- Starting at 5:30 a.m., northbound traffic on Interstate-35 will be diverted up Mesaba Avenue and should use the following detour instructions:
o From Mesaba Avenue, turn right onto 2nd Street
o Continue on 2nd Street and turn left onto 3rd Avenue East
o Continue up the hill on 3rd Avenue East and turn right onto 4th Street
o Continue on 4th Street and turn right onto 10th Avenue East
o Continue down the hill on 10th Avenue East and turn left onto 2nd Street
o Continue on 2nd Street and turn right onto 21st Avenue East
o Continue down the hill on 21st Avenue East and turn left on Superior Street
o Continue on Superior Street to the Highway 61 Expressway
- Starting at 5:30 a.m., southbound traffic from the Highway 61 Expressway will be diverted onto Superior Street
o From the Highway 61 Expressway, turn right onto Superior Street
o Continue on Superior Street and turn right onto 21st Avenue East
o Continue up the hill on 21st Avenue East and turn left onto 3rd Street
o Continue on 3rd Street and turn left onto Mesaba Avenue
o Continue down the hill on Mesaba Avenue and merge onto Interstate-35
- Westbound traffic on 1st Street will not be able to access Mesaba Avenue starting at 5:30 a.m. and will instead be diverted to Superior Street and Interstate 35 using 6th Avenue West
OTHER TRAFFIC ADVISORIES
- Motorists should be aware of ongoing construction on 2nd Street and 3rd Street in Duluth. Those roads will both be open on marathon weekend, but travel from one end of the city to the other is not possible. Please use the detours listed above.
- On Wednesday, June 16 and Thursday, June 17, motorists in Canal Park can expect short delays as crews install a temporary pedestrian bridge over Canal Park Drive just south of Buchanan Street. The roads will remain open during this time, and traffic will be managed as needed by Grandma’s Marathon and construction crews.
PARKING & ACCESS
- Motorists wanting to access Park Point or Canal Park during the marathon on Saturday, June 19 must use Lake Avenue from Superior Street. There will be no vehicle access to Park Point or Canal Park via 5th Avenue West or Railroad Street.
- Anyone planning to park in the Canal Park area on Friday, June 18 or Saturday June 19 are encouraged to park at Bayfront Festival Park, the Great Lakes Aquarium, or the DECC using either 5th Avenue West or Railroad Street via Garfield Avenue. There will be no vehicle access to the DECC, Bayfront Festival Park, or the Great Lakes Aquarium via Lake Avenue.
- Local residents and those wanting to watch the race along London Road on Saturday, June 19 are encouraged to use Superior Street and Jefferson Street to access the avenues above London Road for parking during the event.
- On-street and ramp parking will be available along Superior Street from 6th Avenue East to Lake Avenue and along 1st Street.
- No on-street parking will be allowed on Michigan Street. Motorists who part in the Michigan Street ramps prior to the road closure at 5:30 a.m. on Saturday, June 19 will not be able to exit the ramp until the marathon ends at approximately 3:30 p.m.
- The Depot, Public Library, and Gateway Towers will be accessible during the marathon on Saturday, June 19 using Superior Street and 6th Avenue West.
- Eastbound Routes 6 & 7 – From Downtown Duluth
o Will take Superior Street, to 3rd Avenue East, to 4th Street, to 10th Avenue East, to 2nd Street, to 14th Avenue East, to Superior Street, to 20th Avenue East, to 1st Street, to 21st Avenue East, to Superior Street, and back to regular routing
- Westbound Routes 6 & 7 – To Downtown Duluth
o Will take regular route to 21st Avenue East, to 1st Street, to 20th Avenue East, to Superior Street, to 14th Avenue East, to 3rd Street, to 3rd Avenue East, to Superior Street, and back to regular routing
- The Duluth Transportation Center (DTC) will be open, but no buses will be serving it during the marathon. Passengers are directed to board along Superior Street during this time.
- The Port Town Trolley will not provide service on Saturday until Michigan Street and 5th Avenue West are reopened to traffic.
- Jefferson Lines will use the parking lot adjacent to the M&H gas station in the 1200 block of West Michigan Street for passenger loading and dropoff.
NafGlass Marble Back Designs
March 01, 2021
One of the ways I stand myself apart from other Marble Makers is by standardizing the back design of my marbles by the year they were made. Each year I come up with a new design.
Signature Series Marble Wallpaper
January 28, 2021
Cyber Monday 2020 Over-Run Sale
November 03, 2020
We made too many of our Spectrum Series Goblets! Our over-run is to your advantage!
One Day Only:
Take 40% off Yellow and Orange Spectrum Stemless Goblets
Take 10% off every other color
These glasses pass our Gallery's quality test, but may have slight imperfections and variations. Handmade products always have variations and will not match the picture exactly. Some of these glasses will have the Lake Superior Stamp, some will not.
All Sales are FINAL on CYBER MONDAY.
2020 HOLIDAY DEADLINES
October 14, 2020
The Holidays are right around the corner and when you're ordering handmade gifts, you have to get your order in early!
Below you will find a list of deadlines for our different products. If you'd like to get the process started on any custom product, please CONTACT US right away.
*Timelines subject to change based on order volume.
ORDER BY OCTOBER 31, 2020
IN ORDER TO SHIP BY DECEMBER 15:
- All Marbles larger than 3 inches
- All Stemware
- Glass Roses
- All Custom Orders
- This includes Unity Glass, Memorial Pieces, and anything outside our normal production.
RUSH FEE ORDERS
- Custom products and orders from the products above will be accepted from Nov 1 to Nov 15 with an added RUSH FEE
- Talk to a Gallery Associate for details on RUSH FEE orders.
ALL OTHER PRODUCTS
- All other products on our website will ship by December 15, unless otherwise noted.
Retail Sales Associate
October 05, 2020
We are growing!!
Come join a fast paced, unique gallery and glass art studio!
Lake Superior Art Glass, Minnesota's premiere fine art glass studio and galley, is located in Canal Park in Duluth. We are seeking mature, energetic, and up-beat full or part-time retail sales associates to join our team dedicated to expanding arts and culture in the Duluth community.
- Retail sales or serving experience
- This is a year-round, hourly position.
- Must be available weekdays, evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Detail oriented and meticulous
- Outgoing, positive and friendly personality
- Strong customer service skills
- Driven and timely
- Efficient and hard-working
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong math skills
- The ability to problem solve independently and work as part of a team
- Continually striving for improvement and learning from experience and feedback
- Interest in visual art and working in an artistic environment
- Fluent in Google Word and Google Excel
- Physical requirements: All sales staff must be able to lift up to 50lbs, climb ladders plus stand and move easily for up to 8 hours.
- Providing customer service
- Registering students for classes
- Representing artists
- Cleaning, displaying and arranging art
- Be authentic in the desire to match a customer with the right piece of artwork.
- Assisting with glass inventory and materials
- Dress in an appropriate, professional manner for a high end gallery atmosphere.
- Other duties as assigned
This is a sales position and applicants are expected to learn and retain information about glass techniques, our featured artists, and company policies.
Pay is based on experience. Hourly plus commission upon successful completion of commission quiz.
Hours average about 32 per week, may go up to 40 during peak busy seasons and down to 24 during slow winter months.
Send your resume with detailed sales experience for consideration.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
- 401(k) matching
- Employee discount
- Paid time off
- Monday to Friday
All customers and staff are required to wear masks and follow all Covid-19 Preparedness Plan details.
- Retail Sales: 2 years (Preferred)
- Customer Service: 1 year (Preferred)
Mother's Day Gift Guide
July 31, 2020
June 30, 2020
What is the joke again? There are only two seasons in Minnesota... Winter and Road Construction?
Please be prepared for some construction on the way into Canal Park. We want everyone to be able to navigate through in order to park and make it on time to our glass blowing classes. This construction could add 5 to 15 min to your travel time, so please adjust accordingly.
The easiest way to get into Canal Park right now?
- Take I35 North to exit 256B for 5th Avenue West
- At the Turn right onto Harbor Dr.
- Take the immediate Right and loop onto W. Railroad Street to the right, heading north.
- Continue on W. Railroad to the 2nd set of stoplights and take a right onto Canal Park Dr.
- Lake Superior Art Glass will be a couple of blocks down on the right.
- For areas to park, please visit this link.
Father's Day Gift Guide
June 12, 2020