Experienced Glassblower/Instructor in Duluth, MN
We are looking for an experienced glassblower to join our team in Canal Park, Duluth MN! We are Minnesota's premier glass art gallery and have an "open studio" environment so patrons are encouraged to watch and engage the artists while we work. We have two studios located on site, one Hot Shop Studio and one Flamework Studio.
All Lake Superior Art Glass team members are expected to be mature, upbeat, organized, and be an enthusiastic ambassador to enhance our studio environment, customer experience, and quality of production. To achieve this we:
- Promote a clean, positive, courteous, and professional attitude and appearance to all team members and guests.
- Be a communications specialist. Interact with guests as they watch or enter our store. Greet and converse with guests in a friendly and outgoing manner.
- Be an art educator. Share your knowledge with our guests in an engaging way.
- Always remain respectful and courteous.
A qualified candidate must be a team player, positive communicator, and ideally possess the following qualifications:
- A fluent understanding of glassblowing skills and techniques.
- Ideally 2 years of professional glassblowing experience outside of school.
- Four year degree
- Instructing experience.
- Must be able to produce production style work every week.
- Experience with both soft glass and hard glass is a plus.
- Must have an energetic yet calm disposition and ability to put personal problems aside.
- Strong work ethic, driven and timely.
- Sharp eye for detail.
- Outgoing, positive and friendly personality.
- The ability to problem solve independently and work as part of a team.
- Ability to represent Lake Superior Art Glass professionally and safely.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. Minimum.
- Must adhere to policies per Lake Superior Art Glass Employee Handbook.
- Ability to work with a wide-range of skill levels, personalities, and backgrounds and modify technical and operational strategies to optimize learning experience
- Ability to work and speak in front of large groups of people.
- Excitement for learning and teaching.
- Anticipate and Connect- Be informed of scheduled group reservations and any special needs that may need to be addressed.
- Create a welcoming environment in the classes for Guests.
- Support other glassblowing demonstrators during demonstrations and work as a Team
- Sensitivity to visitor’s learning styles and interpretation of the art.
On an average day, a Glassblower/Instructor will perform any number of responsibilities, such as:
- Opening/closing the studio
- Prepping materials
- LSAG product production/custom orders
- Teaching classes: you will be teaching and completing production art glass pieces throughout the day.
- Adhere to all safety policies and procedures. Safely operate general glassblowing equipment
- Maintain neat, clean, and tidy personal grooming and appearance to LSAG standards
- Cultivate a safe, clean, and functional work environment. Classroom cleanup, upholding all COVID-19 mitigation standards
- 40 hours per week; must be able to work evenings and weekends
- Sign a "non-compete" agreement
- Attend monthly staff meetings
- Reports to Lead Gaffer/Studio Manager
- Wage depends on ability and experience. Minimum starting wage is $15/hour with opportunity for growth at periodic performance reviews. Once you are fully trained in teaching classes you will earn additional compensation.
- Up to 4% 401k match after 1 year
- Health and Dental Benefits after 1 month
- One week of accumulated Paid Time Off
- 5 hours/week of personal blow time (to be used primarily outside of business hours) OR free monthly flamework studio rent.
- Studio rental rate beyond 5 free hours at $25 per hour.
- Ability to sell approved work on consignment in our gallery that sees an average of 500 customers/week. (~300/week during off season. ~1500/week during peak season)
- Employee Discounts
To apply, please email the following to email@example.com:
- Letter of interest describing qualifications and previous experience in studio production and teaching (in word or .pdf file format)
- Resume - including three references. (in word or .pdf file format)
- 5-10 images of personal work (in .jpg or .pdf file format)